Thursday 11 August 2011

Suzi Wong: Prototype Preparation

Today was the day that I was told I would be actually printing my proposed designs onto fabric in preparation for a pair of prototype shorts. I began by splitting my computer design up into A4 sections and flipping my designs, therefore making it possible to print. These sections where then individually printed onto a special kind of paper that could be transferred onto fabric with the help of a heat press. It was a long process that involved a lot of trial and error to make sure the visuals came out in the best quality they could. Eventually it was determined that I had to cut around all the separate sheets and hold them together with a special cellotape to ensure the right results. An image of this can be found below in the second picture down.



Once I had assembled the full design I then used the heat press to get the print onto the template for the left short leg. It became obvious that the print was not quite big enough and there was quite a bit of white left visible in the exteriors. Therefore I had to print off more black onto the special paper and heat press it into position.


Of course once I had completed one leg it was then I had to think about the other. What with the left leg being such a large and busy pattern, it was pretty obvious that the other leg should remain quite simple and understated. So I decided to use the business' logo as the main feature and positioned it vertically along the side of the right leg. Again this process involved more cutting and sticking together. The image below shows the finished left leg fabric, and the proposed right leg just before using the heat press. 


A close up shot of the detail below.


Making a few adjustments to ensure the best visual outcome.


Another close up visual shot.



This last image shows the two finished legs next to each other, with all traces of the white fabric underneath either printed over or filled in with a marker. I have been told that if there is time then the two legs will be sewn together by tomoro and I can see what the fully assembled outcome will look like. Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment