Tuesday 11 October 2011

PPD Session with Jane

1. What major point stands out in your learning of this experience? 
2. What one thing would you have done differently whilst there or in preparation? 
3. Has it changed your outlook on the business going into your final year?

Suzi Wong Experience:
1. I would say the thing that I learnt most in my time at Suzi Wong would be how difficult it is working with clients. It became apparent very quickly that I was no longer designing for myself, with aesthetics that suit my visual style, but instead having to design around an aesthetic style that suits them. Sometimes this can be helpful and it helps get you out of your comfort zone with surprisingly successful results, but in this case it wasn't. I tried to blend both visual styles, but ultimately the client settled on a design that was formulaic and a little boring. It also became clear that I'm not a fan of branding and identity, or at least not re-branding. Starting from scratch with no guidelines can prove useful and fun, but only having to slightly alter pre-set designs is not.

2. I think I would have thrown myself in a little more. I was apprehensive about the work environment having never even had a job, so for the first few days I was quiet and didn't want to voice my opinions. After trying to design for what the client wanted I was having less and less fun and my creativity had run dry. However if I had spoke up about what I thought looked better or worked more I think I could have had a better experience, and it probably would have resulted in a more pleasing resolution.

3. Due to the experience not quite being 'industrial experience' I would say that I'm still not entirely sure what I expect from the business side of things. It was certainly informative in discovering how much effort and dedication goes into keeping a company up and running, but in terms of designing pressure and industry deadlines I still don't know much.

No comments:

Post a Comment